GreenSoul - Welcome!

"How the line in life, nature, science, philosophy, religion constantly returns into itself. The opposite poles become one when the circle is completed. All truth revolves about one center. All is a manifestation of one law...and is better enjoyed with a nice glass of wine"

-Sarah Alden Bradford Ripley


Ok, I added that last part about the wine. But I do believe the above is the most perfect phrase I've ever come across to describe my perspective. I hope you enjoy the blog. I welcome your comments and value your consideration.

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Day 7 of the Cleanse

Today was a very unusual day, full of ups and downs, and I struggled to stay connected spiritually to my purpose thoughout. But there were a few high points worth mentioning.

The day started off at 5:45 with a more vigorous yoga practice. I used Comcast's On-Demand service to tune into a yoga flow sequence as I had just woken up and wasn't ready for the restorative video offered on the Yoga Journal's site for Day 7. Tea and breakfast around 8:45 and a frantic race out the door for church. And that's where the fun began! Today the sermon was a religious, cultural and historical dive into the subject of Fasting. Not simply the starving of oneself for days or weeks, instead we explored the text book definition of fasting which entails the ritual of eating only one type of food for a period of time, or the elimination of particular foods for a period of time...much like lent. We also heard about the origins of fasting and details on the more severe forms, including religious purification and hunger strikes for civil, political or other causes.

I couldn't believe this was the topic of the sermon, talk about kismet! At the end there was a discussion where members of the congregation were encouraged to offer their experience with, or ask questions about, fasting. So, of course, I did "the Big Share". I had a lot of people approach me after service to ask about the purpose of the cleanse, my primary motivation, and what the results were for me. In short I told them I would do another cleanse and may try something different next time for variety, but that I would also do this again next year.

The other realization I had today was that I need a bit more variation in my diet going forward. It is very easy to start incorporating more exotic varietals of vegetables and fruits on a regular basis. I also want to make rice more of a staple versus a once a week side dish for me and my family. I plan to continue to practice yoga and meditate every day, and journal as often as I can. I have also begun mapping out plans to participate in other local wellness events, including a women's day-long retreat in October. It is more critical now than ever that we stay in touch with our higher selves, stay grounded and connected to ourselves and others. It is equally important to look for opportunities to give back to our communities and our planet. There are so many great organizations out there to consider, and many only require a small amount of time and focus for regular participation...such as Moving Planet (www.moving-planet.org). Selecting one that has meaning and resonates for you is the first criteria, and it's great if you can get a friend to do it with you.

The other high point of the day was realizing that I have choices tomorrow for sustenance, and that I still have kitchari leftover if I have a craving. I really like the heartiness of the dish and have started to think about variations.

The low point today was fatigue, and I did get a headache tonight, too. I am slightly anemic so this may be the culprit, and though I was tempted to cook a steak for dinner, I took a different tack and ate a handful of organic raw pepitas to add a shot of iron to my blood. I chased that with a half litre of water just in case mild dehydration was the culprit.

The headache was my only discomfort in this whole process, and it may be unrelated to the Detox. My son came home from school on Thursday with a little something extra...this year's first cold. While I had been hopeful that the cleanse would throw up a road block against such trespassers, it's possible that had I started the cleanse a few days before, my system might have been less vulnerable. In any case, now I know what to do with the leftover potatoes and carrots from the potassium broth. In my experience, there is no better way to feed a cold than with homemade chicken soup!

Ok, so clearly I'm not going the vegan route, not permanently anyway. I can deal with a twice annual 7-Day Detox Cleanse, but the girl likes her New York strip, occasional pulled pork and chicken sausages. Moderation!

Whatever your reason for reading this, I hope you found the informaton useful, helpful or, at the very least, entertaining. Feel free to email me with questions at karen@greensearchpartner.com

Namaste!!

1 comment:

  1. I ended up with mild headaches towards the end of each day of the cleanse, as well. Since I eat a vegetarian diet (though not vegan) normally anyway, I too think the headaches were an actual physical manifestation of the detox process.

    ReplyDelete